Thursday, May 22, 2008

Where to Go in the UK?

If I were heading out on a last minute trip to the United Kingdom, where would I want to go? If I were still dating Gerry, I guess I would go the Bath and Bristol area. That would have been so much fun.....but, that is not the case, so scratch those off the list.

I would definitely want to go back to London--see some plays, eat great food, soak it all up--but I would want to see the rest of the country too. London is the only place I have been in the U.K, so I would want to broaden my horizons. I probably would fly into London, however, and either rent a car, or more likely, take a train to other cities. To me, that is always fun.

On my list to see would be Birmingham and Manchester, Cambridge and Oxford, and definitely the some small towns and villages in the countryside. I wouldn't mind seeing Stonehenge.

And I wouldn't limit myself to England. I know Wales is lovely--some college friends of mine spent a semester there. That was the first time I had ever heard of someone doing that. I was so amazed at their ingenuity, and I was also so jealous! What a great experience they had there. And Scotland, of course. I am a Scot, so I would have to discover the old "homeland." I would like nothing better. I would go search for the town where our family is from and go see Edinburgh University, where an ancestor went to medical school. That would be so meaningful. And to cap off the trip, I would go to northern Ireland. I am also part Irish, so that would be fitting. I have heard the Irish make you feel very welcome. I thought I was going to be able to go to Scotland last summer, but the trip fell through. I know I will go soon though.




No comments: