Thursday, May 29, 2008

Blogging Too Many Intimate Details?

I love blogging. I have been a writer for years so it comes naturally to me. I love blogging about whatever occurs to me, and I love paid blogging, because as a professional writer, I love getting assignments and figuring out ways to be creative in fulfilling the assignment.

So, I was interested in reading the article in the New York Times Magazine last Sunday about Emily Gould and her blogging life. Apparently she is a professional gossip and worked at Gawker and some other places. She also blogged about her own life, as many of us do, but I guess she identified herself and her friends a little too clearly, and it backfired on her. The article referred to it as blogging about too many intimate details. She started getting too many rude comments and some such thing like that. I have to admit that I didn't think the excerpts from her blog that the Times published were all that bad. I am not sure what that says about me, but I really thought they were quite tame. Not sure what all the fuss was about. Of course I haven't read her actual blogs or other articles, and maybe that is were the problem lies. I do think you have to be careful with what you write on the Internet. Maybe it just got out of control for her.

No comments: