Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Evil Drink

One lobster emailed me and seemed fine. His picture was so-so, but his profile seemed nice, especially since he said he was liberal, which is very rare on match.com in Nashville, TN. There are too many conservatives for my taste.

I didn't email him back right away, just because I was busy. OK, I do have a policy about not emailing back right away--I like to wait 24 hrs at least. But I think I waited a little longer than that. He wrote me back wondering if I didn't like his picture. I have to admit that hit me wrong--that maybe he was a little too sensitive or that he didn't have good self esteem??? He could have just been kidding, but that is not how I took it.

I wrote back and said no that I thought his picture was fine, but that I wondered about something else. He put on his profile in big letters at the very top that he did not drink alcohol. I do drink alcohol--not in excess, but I do enjoy wine and beer, and it is not a problem for me. I go to a lot of functions that include alcohol.

I said to him that I noticed he did not drink alcohol and I did. Would that be a problem?

He wrote back and said he knew the evils of alcohol and that it was too early to ask me not to drink.

Yes, of course. I don't think that would be appropriate at all.

I am sorry that he has a problem with alcohol, but many people don't. He is going to have to learn how to co-exist with those who do drink.

Of course, a partner of his could choose not to drink. But that would have to come from a place of deep concern for him, which you do not just to get right away. Wouldn't it be better for him to learn how to live in this world? Since the temptation is all around--it seems that would be the better route than to ask someone else not to do it.

No comments: