Saturday, June 5, 2010

When I Am Miserable, I Watch Horror Flicks

The Human CentipedeI really don't mind horror movies and kind of actually like them on occasion. I wrote a paper on horror movies for my psychology class in grad school, and know that people often use scary movies or books for a catharsis. Like something is not going right in your life, so you get your fears out through scary things. Fairy tales do the same for young children. When you watch the movie or read the book, you then feel stronger by thinking about what you would have done in such a case. In effect, you are slaying dragons vicariously, and it helps you slay dragons in real life.

So I don't mind watching things like Open Water, (the first one, not the second one) because whatever bad is happening in my life, at least I am not stuck out in the ocean and about to be eaten by sharks. That makes me feel better about my situation.

When I was studying for the bar exam, I watch the Saw series. The ones that were out by then. Wierd but true. The Saw movies are really graphic and gross, but does have a plot line. The main character is upset that people don't appreciate their lives, so kidnaps his selected victims, and sets up a game, whereby they can save their life if they are willing to go to extreme lengths to do what he asks. Suddenly, the bar exam did not seem so bad.

Today, I was stuck at home with a non working air conditioner, which is bad when you live in the south. And I was stuck at home all day sweating it out. So to make myself feel better, I watched Human Centipede. I had read all kinds of press about how it was the sickest movie of all time, but  I can't agree.

Yes, it is disturbing and vile, but kind of in that unbelieveable way. The crazy German doctor is just a caricature. And why would the girls trust him anyway, when they had already been approached, after getting a flat tire in the woods, by a demented and perv German in a mercedes benz? Makes no sense.

This may be a stretch, but I wondered if this film also isn't a comment on ethics and medicine. The renowned German doctor famous for separating siamese twins was as proud of the three people he put together as Frankenstein was of his monster. But just because you can do something medically, should you? The answer is obviously no.

I admit, I did wretch a time or two during the film. But I repeat, it is a dumb flick. So I think that Saw is the winner of the grosses films ever.

No comments: