Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Menstrual Stem Cell Research

I really love science. In another life, I could have been a science nerd. Some of my favorite writing assignments have involved doctors or researchers. I was always amazed at their insights and breakthroughs. It really revved me up.

I wish I were still in science writing, because stem cell research would provide many writing opportunities. Stem cell research is so exciting and holds such promise for the future. It really holds a key to a cure for some of the major diseases. Who knows where they will discover the next cure? Well, a start is in the menstrual blood. Yes, that is right, the menstrual blood. Who would have thought?

But think about it--menstrual blood contains cell renewing stem cells, and it certainly can be collected easily. It can also be processed and stored for potential therapies that emerge in the future. It is thought that it may well help future therapies for diseases such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, as well as anti-aging, burns, and wounds. You can start collecting menstrual blood now and have it preserved for the future for these purposes. The stem cells are a perfect match for the donor and may also match first degree relatives. What a comforting idea. None of us knows what the future holds, but an easy way to combat serious illness like this sounds good in my book.

No comments: